As the temperatures remain frigid in our community, the City of Miami would like to suggest a few tips for reducing consumption.
• Set thermostats to 65 degrees or as low as comfortable
• Turn off or unplug electronics during periods of non-use.
• Turn off nonessential lights.
• Postpone all nonessential energy use.
• Check windows and doors for drafts and place towels or blankets over drafts.
• Refrain from using space heaters as a main heating source as they use lots of energy to heat a room.
• Open cabinets under sinks to keep pipes from freezing.
• Open faucets and maintaining a constant drip with help avoid frozen pipes.
• Close all vents and cover holes in your home’s foundation.
These are just a few useful tips in helping customers during this extreme cold winter season.
Customers are encouraged to take advantage of the City of Miami’s AMP (Average Monthly Payment) Plan. They need to visit the utility department at city hall and request an AMP form. A Customer Service Representative will discuss the plan with them and determine at that time their average payment and what the bill will be upon enrolling. A few benefits to the AMP Plan include:
• Always knowing what to expect for your utility bills. This helps customers on a fixed income.
• If a customer has extremely high usage on month, they will still pay the average as that bill is spread out over several months.
• The plan works as a deferred payment plan for higher bills.
For more information regarding the AMP plan with the City of Miami, please contact the utility billing department at 918-542-6685.